RESPONSIBILITIES OF BOARD COMMITTEES AND TASK FORCES
Standing committees play a vital role in the effective operation of OLLI at Duke. Although the
Director is the ultimate decision maker for most matters (especially those related to finances and
contracts), standing committees and task forces provide much of the energy to coordinate OLLI events
and “make things happen.”
The responsibilities of our current slate of standing committees are shown below. These descriptions
cover the major responsibilities of each committee but are not meant to be all-inclusive.
The chair of each committee sits on the Board of Advisors and is responsible for...
… Ensuring that the committee develops an annual plan to be presented for approval at the
second Board meeting of the year, and
… Implementing programs to achieve committee goals,
… Recruiting additional committee members, as needed, and
… Reporting on committee activities to the Board and compiling adequate documentation of
For larger committees, the chair should appoint a vice chair who can assist in fulfilling committee
duties and who can lead the committee in the absence of the chair.
• Consists of the President, Past President, Vice President, Recording Secretary and Director.
• Plans the Board meeting agendas.
• Assists the Director and the Board in implementation of the Strategic Plan.
• Periodically updates the Board regarding progress toward achievement of the Strategic Plan and, if
needed, recommends changes required to achieve it.
• Advises Director on an “as requested” basis.
ADVISORS AT LARGE
• Actively participates on the OLLI at Duke Board of Advisors.
• Represents the general membership on issues of interest or concern, particularly those that arise
outside of the committee structure.
• Participates on committees and/or task forces as requested by the President or the Director.
• Conducts special projects to further the goals of OLLI at Duke as requested by the President and
• Supports the President in identifying candidates to fill open leadership positions as vacancies occur.
• Reviews the structure and activities of the Board of Advisors seeking ways to improve the Board’s
• Reviews and suggests changes to the Bylaws.
• Advises the Nominating Task Force on criteria for candidates for open positions.
• Produces the OLLI Spotlight and other member communications.
• Manages the OLLI Member Website.
• Produces interim communications at the request of the Director or Board of Advisors.
• Prepares Instructor and Volunteer Profiles.
• Provides and develops a broad array of interesting, stimulating and attractive courses to be offered in
each of the OLLI at Duke terms.
• Recruits potential instructors, assists them in all aspects of developing classes, and works with the
Director in scheduling classes.
• Enhances OLLI at Duke’s relationship with existing and potential instructors. Key activities include
instructor appreciation / recognition, instructor resources / faculty development, instructor
communications, instructor advocacy and new instructor integration.
• Works with the Director and Third-Party Consultant to develop a “Legacy campaign” to support
OLLI initiatives (as determined by Board).
• Coordinates with the Director to build awareness within OLLI membership of Legacy opportunities.
• Advocates and encourages members to consider OLLI in their charitable planning.
• Develops a committee of “Raving Fans” to support Legacy activities.
• Develops and carries out activities to integrate new members into the organization (e.g., New
Member Meet & Greets).
• Selects, schedules and coordinates a wide variety of activities for OLLI at Duke members throughout
• Coordinates the distribution of catalogs at various locations in the Triangle. This includes recruiting
the Catalog Distribution Team and training them regarding the most effective means of placing our
catalogs in the best locations.
• Coordinates monthly Member Socials, Special Interest Groups, CCRC Council and Conscious Aging
• Investigate possible new classroom and activity space that might be suitable for use by OLLI at
• Work closely with the Director to secure new space.
• Maintain a database of spaces considered with their pros and cons.
• Coordinates volunteer activities across committees.
• Recruits and places members seeking volunteer opportunities.
• Maintains a database of past and present volunteers.
• Develops recognition programs for volunteers.
• Trains volunteers as requested by the Board or Director.
NOMINATING TASK FORCE
• Working with the President and the Director, prepares a slate of nominees (President, Vice President
and two At-Large Advisors) for election.
• The Nominating Task Force Chair conducts the election via email or at the annual meeting.
• Working with the President and the Director, identifies candidates to fill open committee chairs and
At-Large Advisor positions if they occur during the year.
STRATEGIC PLANNING TASK FORCE
• Prepares and updates the OLLI at Duke Strategic Plan. Major revisions to the Strategic Plan are
expected every three years; minor revisions are made as needed to keep the plan fresh and relevant.